Tuesday, 1 November 2016

‘Much of what I have learned in Guiding will be useful in my future’

After many years in Guides and with much encouragement from my leaders, Lorraine O'Connor and Trish Mulvihill, I had the honour of receiving my Trail Blazer Award in Croke Park on 22 October 2016 along with four other fellow Guides from my unit (St Dominick’s, Listowel).

Faye Mulvihill,
St Dominick's Guides,
Listowel
The day began with my journey to Dublin from Kerry; it was a very early start but well worth the effort. The Croke Park Conference Centre looked so well. I felt really proud of the fact that I was a Guide and had earned the right to get my award.

The gold theme was very evident in the room - from the decorations on the tables to the gold goodie bags we were given. I was so nervous of getting up in front of everyone and was glad I was in the last group to go up. I thought it was a lovely idea how each Guide got their own moment of fame with a personal message from our Unit Leaders.

A group of female reenactors depicting the women from the1916 Rising gave a very interesting display on the important role of women in the Rising and a female soldier, Lt Jennifer Larkin, told us of her experiences with the Irish Army.

Her advice to us was always to have a plan B just in case your first plan doesn't work out; as we have been taught in Guides – ‘Be Prepared’!

Faye with her fellow Guides, Fiona, Annya, Tori and Mary Kate
pictured at the National Guide Awards ceremony in Croke Park
with their Leaders, Lorraine O'Connor and Trish Mulvihill,
IGG President Maureen Dillon, Chief Commissioner Helen 
Concannon and Guide Branch Chair Carol O'Brady
The Award consisted of completing a variety of challenges, helping organise Guide meetings, helping out with community projects and earning badges. Some of my favourite times in Guiding were helping out with the Brownie Unit and, at times, Guides and Brownies worked together with our local Tidy Towns group. I really enjoyed this group activity and got great satisfaction when our town won a big award this year.

Our Leaders organised a lot of different skills, tasks and challenges for our Unit over the years and on reflection these really helped with my confidence and Patrol Leader skills.

I am sure that much of what I have learned in Guiding will be useful in my future and I will always have happy memories of my Guiding years.

~ Faye Mulvihill, St Dominick’s Guides, Listowel, Co Kerry 

No comments:

Post a Comment