Monday, 27 July 2015

‘Every second was fast-paced and exciting, a true adventure’

My name is Róisín Neville and I am a 16-year-old Guide from Cork. I saw a tall ship voyage advertised in Trefoil News and I thought it sounded exciting and that it would be a unique experience.

I had some experience with dinghy sailing but I had never been on a tall ship before. The voyage was on the Dutch vessel, the Morgenster, and it was from 14th to 26th June. We sailed from Dublin and disembarked at Bangor in Northern Ireland. We visited Scotland and the Isle of Man and we ported at the Irish Maritime Festival in Drogheda for two nights. 

I didn’t know any of the other 25 trainees before I came on the ship and I was a bit nervous before I went. As soon as I arrived I knew that I would be fine as everyone was so friendly and we were literally 'all in the same boat!' Many of the other trainees were Scouts, so hopefully I will meet them at camps soon. 

The voyage itself was incredible. Every second was fast-paced and exciting, a true adventure. I learned many new skills, sailing and otherwise. We were trained by the incredible crew to sail the beautiful tall ship.

The highlight for me was on the last night when we all performed songs and stories about the trip. I made a video about the voyage, which you can see here.

I would definitely love to go on another voyage and I think I will apply for the tall ship races next year. 

I have been a member of IGG for five years. I have been a Patrol Leader and I am now on my way to becoming a Young Leader in my Unit, Arbutus. I absolutely love going to Guides every week. I have gained confidence, skills and lifelong friends from my years in Guides. My favourite parts of Guides are teaching the younger Guides about gender equality and going on camps, being close to nature.


I think it’s great to see girls being themselves in a supportive, happy environment. I would definitely recommend girls and young women to join IGG and become part of the great sisterhood of Guiding.

~ Róisín Neville, Arbutus Guides, Cork

No comments:

Post a Comment